NESS Super

Find & Combine Super

We can use your Tax File Number (TFN) to search the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) register for any forgotten or lost super savings held for you and rollover any money held by the ATO in your name to your NESS Super account.

Consolidate your super

NESS members can consolidate in two easy ways.

1. Call us on 1800 022 067 . We can combine your super accounts into one NESS account over the phone. It only takes a few minutes. We are available between 8:30am and 6pm (Sydney time) Monday - Friday. 

2. Online - simply login to MemberAccessOpens in new window , and click on the 'Consolidate Super' tab.  

Before your combine your super accounts, make sure you read the 'Tips before you Transfer' section below. 

To get started:

Login to MemberAccessOpens in new window . Your username is your member number which can be found on your member statement. Forgotten your password? Click hereOpens in new window and follow the instructions. Not registered for MemberAccess? You can register hereOpens in new window . If you need assistance please call us on 1800 022 067

Once the transfer from your other superannuation funds has been made to your NESS Super account, we will be in touch to confirm the value of the funds transferred.

Having your super in the one place makes sense

Most Australians have more than one super account. But having multiple super accounts makes it much harder to stay on top of your super. It also means you are paying multiple sets of fees. These can add up to thousands of dollars over your working life, meaning less for you when you retire. NESS Super accepts roll ins from other funds as a free service for members.

Tips before you transfer

Before you request a roll in from another fund we suggest you:

  • Check if you will be charged exit fees. Some funds charge exit fees when you leave them. Remember to check with your other fund before rolling over your account balance.
  • Review your insurance arrangements. You may have insurance with the fund you’re leaving and you will lose this cover if you leave. In many cases NESS Super may be able to transfer the cover you have through your previous arrangement without requiring medical evidence, but please call us to talk about this before taking any action. You can also apply for your insurance to be transferred by completing and returning a Transfer My Insurance Details FormOpens in new window . Make sure you complete Section 2 of the form.
  • Consider getting financial advice before consolidating your account. You should consult with a suitably qualified person before making any financial decisions. Now might be also good time to review your retirement planning and insurance arrangements. NESS Super’s partner, Link AdviceOpens in new window , can help with this.

Lost and Unclaimed Super

Did you know that there are billions of dollars in lost and unclaimed superannuation?

Manage your super efficiently

There are many ways in which your account may become classified as lost or unclaimed, and this could be as simple as the fund losing contact with you, or your account being inactive for a specified period. Keeping your details up to date is very important so you don’t lose track of your accounts.

If you have changed your name, moved house or changed jobs, there is a high chance that you may have lost, unclaimed or other amounts held by the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

At NESS Super we make it easy. Call us on 1800 022 067 or login to MemberAccessOpens in new window and click on the 'Consolidate Super' tab.  

You can also conduct your own online search and manage your super by creating a myGov account and linking to the ATO.

Watch the ATO video below on how you can find and manage your super using the ATO's online services:

  1. log in or create a myGov account
  2. link your myGov account to the ATO
  3. select 'super'
  4. you can then find and choose to transfer your super

It's important to consider the effect on your insurance if you combine your super.

  myGov videoOpens in new window   

Need Help? Call us on 1800 022 067 if you require any assistance.